Wednesday, April 13, 2011

On the Cusp of 40

The last photo of me as a woman in her 30s

An introspection: I've really struggled with this 40 business, thought about staying 39 for a few more years. I know it is just a number but it's a big one for me. For whatever reason however, in the past few months I have begun to change my thinking. I scan my body and it is fit, healthy, and strong. I look in the mirror and I see a woman who is growing and accepting, sometimes struggling but always learning.

So 30s. I look back at you and I see all these blessings. I turned 30 in Kathmandu on the Nepalese New Year - a huge celebration. My 30s brought me motherhood, and a marriage. It brought me great adventures overseas - a dream come true. It gave me beautiful friendships and taught me who I am and how to honour that person. When I think back on the past 10 years it gives me goosebumps to think of how very fortunate I am. So goodbye 30s, you were fantastic and you taught me so much. You will always hold memories of the sweetest kind, bring a smile to my face and the occasional shake of my head. But I'm ready, I release you and embrace all that is ahead. Love.

7 comments:

  1. Happy birthday dear friend! Enjoy your week of birthday celebrations! Speak Soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Karie! May your 40s bring more adventure, self assuredness (is that a word?) and lotsa love. I love you girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...I commented earlier but I just noticed it did not appear. Thanks girls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will always be my baby! Happy Birthday Karie Lynn. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Karie! It sounds like you're ready for the next decade. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dear dear friend.. how I wished we were together to celebrate our 40th's.
    Miss you C x

    ReplyDelete